The Carcass Merit Program is a great way to get an idea of how your sire stacks up against the other superior sires in the beef industry. This is done through progeny tests performed on calves sired by your bull. With these tests we are able to adjust the EPD’s according to how your sire performs and increase the accuracy making the sire more marketable. If you wish to lead the industry in genetic improvement, the Carcass Merit Program is just the tool for you.
2. The sire will be checked to make sure it hasn’t already been enrolled in the program (if there’s any question).
3. You will be contacted with any deadline or shipping details.
4. You send in 80 units of semen to: American Simmental Association, One Genetics Way, Bozeman, MT 59718
5. If parental validation or 50K DNA tests have not been completed, ASA will do it at your expense (no more than if you did it) upon receiving the semen.
-It is required that all sires be parentally validated and 50K DNA tested. Both tests can be done for $90. Unfortunately if parental validation has already been completed the cost is still $90.
6. Enough cattle will be bred to provide approximately 12 to 15 carcasses.
7. You will be billed $1,500 when breeding is finished.
8. You will be updated periodically on the status of the calves.
9. All data collected will be included in the earliest data run possible so that EPD’s can be adjusted accordingly.
We are excited to continue to help you sort out the superior sires, assist all breeders in making the best possible genetic decisions and improve the marketability of your bulls.
If you'd like to increase the value of your seed stock operation, develop a more profitable cowherd, or increase the accuracy of the EPDs on your bulls, take a few moments to check out this video about enrolling in the Carcass Merit Program, and hear first hand from Carcass Merit participant Jim Butcher of Gateway Simmentals about his experience with the program.
To promote the ASA Carcass Merit Program, ASA has launched a new video spotlighting the carcass merit herds: Stuart Land and Cattle, Rosedale, VA; E.L. Peterson Ranch, Judith Gap, MT; the Bair Ranch Foundation Ranch, Martinsdale, MT; and the Wang Ranch in Wibaux, MT.