We get it, your bull buyers are the reason for your success. They’ve bought into your breeding program and trust your genetics are going to help make them be more profitable cattle producers. But did you know those same customers can contribute more to your success than simply being a loyal customer? Robust data capture is the single most important way to improve the predictability of your genetics. The American Simmental Association (ASA) has multiple programs designed to do just that.
If you care about robust data capture, the ASA Carcass Merit Program (CMP) and Carcass Expansion Program (CXP) are two programs you should consider - or more specifically your customers should consider. But don’t just hear it from us. Gordon Hodges from Gibbs Farms has been using both programs extensively for the past couple of years.
“The CMP has been one of the most genetically influential ASA programs since the day it was first implemented and in my opinion, more valuable today than ever before,” says Hodges. “We are now collecting DNA data on the CMP progeny which will greatly add to the accuracy and validation of genomically enhanced carcass trait EPD’s.”
Carcass data is rare in genetic evaluation, so the few records we do receive should go a long way right? We’re doing that by ensuring every animal participating in CMP and CXP projects are genotyped. Gordon adds, “By collecting actual carcass records and DNA on all of the harvested CMP and CXP progeny, we are increasing the validation and accuracy of all genomic enhanced EPD’s.”
“It is rare for a breed association program to literally be a win for everyone, but the CMP and CXP programs accomplish a big win for all,” stresses Hodges.
- “A win for the CMP herd by providing free semen, subsidized payments for each harvested carcass, complete birth to harvest processed data, and EPD’s on their cowherd that allows for more accurate genetic improvement for generations into the future.”
- “A win for the enrolled bull owner by supplying non-biased, third party complete data from birth to harvest on your sires as well as maternal data well into the future.”
- “Possibly the biggest win is for the members who do not enroll sires but use genomic enhanced EPD’s.”
“Yes, the CMP and CXP programs are a win for everyone.”
Tom Hook, Hook Farms in Tracy, MN agrees. “The ASA's innovative CMP and CXP lead the beef industry in providing data and resources for improving terminal value. We leverage the knowledge gained from CMP and CXP to improve terminal merit and provide genomically enhanced genetics to help our commercial customers be more profitable.”
This Fall, the ASA is looking to expand our young sire progeny testing herds participating in the Carcass Merit Program (CMP). Do you have a commercial customer with a Fall breeding program? Does this customer have a background in retaining ownership? If yes, we’d like to visit about potentially getting both of you involved in ASA’s carcass programs.
Carcass Merit Program (CMP)
- ASA’s premier young sire testing program
- Participants receive:
- Free Genetic Evaluation on their cowherd
- Free semen on industry-leading bulls
- Free genomic evaluation on all CMP-sired terminal animals
- A $60 incentive for every CMP-sired animal with individual carcass data
Carcass Expansion Program (CXP)
- ASA’s expansive project meant to rapidly improve genomic predictability of carcass traits
- Participants receive:
- Free genomic evaluation of all terminal animals
- Parent verification of multi-sired calves
- Free genetic evaluation on all participating calves
- Animals must be preapproved to be committed to the program
Fortunately, for commercial cattlemen retaining ownership these programs may be used together. Maximum genetic knowledge for you, your customer, and the rest of the industry.
- Hits: 228